Google introduced its plans to deliver Nearby Share—its AirDrop competitor—to Windows at CES 2022. It’s been a 12 months since, and the corporate has launched the Nearby Share app, as promised, on Windows.
Nearby Share permits Android and Windows alike to share photographs, movies, paperwork, recordsdata, and hyperlinks between each platforms rapidly and simply. As of scripting this, it’s in beta and helps Windows 10 and 11.
If you ceaselessly share recordsdata or hyperlinks between an Android cellphone and a Windows PC, that is excellent news for you! Follow alongside, and we’ll present you the way to use Nearby Share to share recordsdata between Android and Windows.
Table of Contents
How to Install Nearby Share on a Windows PC
Nearby Share is presently obtainable in beta on Windows, so that you would possibly expertise some points utilizing it. In our time, although we didn’t encounter any unusual points with the app, it did crash a few instances.
But in case you don’t thoughts this, right here’s how to get Nearby Share in your Windows PC:
- Head to the Nearby Share page and click on Get Started.
- When this downloads the file, go to the Downloads folder and double-click the file to run it.
- Hit Yes on the User Account Control immediate to run the installer.
- Wait for the installer to end downloading and putting in the software program in your PC, and hit Close when it’s finished.
How to Set Up Nearby Share on Windows
Once you’ve put in the Nearby Share app in your pc, you want to set it up earlier than you should use it to switch or obtain recordsdata from an Android cellphone.
Follow these steps to do that:
- Launch the Nearby Share app in your pc. (It’s referred to as Nearby Share Beta from Google).
- If you need to use it together with your Google account, enter your Google account credentials to check in. Else, hit Use with out an account to proceed with out your Google account.
- Now, you’ll be requested to set a reputation in your PC. This title is how your PC will probably be seen to others on the community.
- If you’re utilizing Nearby Share with a Google account, choose Contacts underneath Receiving to make your self seen to solely these in your Google Contacts. Else, in case you aren’t signed in, set the machine visibility setting to Receive from everybody to make your PC seen to everybody on the community.
How to Use Nearby Share to Transfer Files Between Android and Windows
Now that you just’ve obtained Nearby Share arrange in your Windows 10/11 PC, you can begin sharing recordsdata with an Android cellphone. But earlier than that, listed below are a couple of key belongings you want to know:
- Since Nearby Share makes use of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for transferring and receiving recordsdata, make sure that to activate Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on each your Android cellphone and Windows PC.
- If you’re related to a Wi-Fi community, be certain that each gadgets are related to the identical community. Also, it’s higher to have each of them use the 5GHz channel, because it provides quicker switch speeds.
- Nearby Share switch doesn’t require you to be related to a Wi-Fi community to switch and obtain recordsdata. Just make sure that the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on, and Nearby Share will robotically decide the appropriate protocol.
Share Files From Android to Windows Using Nearby Share
If you need to share a file or hyperlink in your Android cellphone to a Windows PC, first, make sure that your desktop is seen on the community. Head over to Nearby Share’s Settings web page in your PC and select Everyone or Contacts. After this, comply with these steps:
- Open no matter (file, doc, folder, hyperlink, or Wi-Fi password) you need to share in your Android cellphone.
- Click the Share button and choose Nearby Share from the share menu.
- Wait for a couple of seconds till you see your Windows PC’s title seem on the Nearby Share card, and faucet on it.
- Go to your desktop and settle for the request by hitting the Accept button.
Depending on the dimensions of the file and the medium of switch, your file will now be transferred to the Windows PC. It’ll be downloaded robotically and saved to the Downloads folder in your pc.
However, if you need, you possibly can change it from the settings. Simply click on the settings icon on the Nearby Share app, faucet the Change button on the Save acquired recordsdata to choice, and decide the listing the place you need to save recordsdata going ahead. Finally, hit Change to save the preferences.
Share Files From Windows to Android Using Nearby Share
Much like sharing recordsdata from an Android cellphone, transferring recordsdata out of your Windows PC to an Android cellphone can be simple with Nearby Share.
First, allow Nearby Share in your Android cellphone. A fast approach to do that is to deliver up the Quick Settings panel, faucet on the Nearby Share tile, and toggle on the Device visibility choice. After this, set the visibility to Everyone or Contacts based mostly on whether or not you’re utilizing Nearby Share in your desktop, signed in, or signed out.
Now, comply with these steps to switch recordsdata out of your Windows PC to your Android cellphone:
- Select the recordsdata or folders you need to share, right-click on an merchandise, and choose Nearby Share. Or, open the Nearby Share app and drag and drop the gadgets you need to share.
- Click on the Android machine title that seems in Nearby Devices listing on the app.
- Go to your Android cellphone and hit Accept to begin receiving the recordsdata.
Once the file(s) are downloaded, yow will discover them underneath the Downloads listing in your cellphone.
Google Finally Makes Android-Windows File Transfers Easy
By releasing the Nearby Share app on Windows, Google has lastly made transferring recordsdata between Android gadgets and Windows desktops/laptops fast and easy. Not solely that, nevertheless it has additionally put an finish to customers’ long-running seek for an Android-Windows file-sharing platform.
Google’s Nearby Share is free, quick, dependable, and simple to use. And we should admit that, in spite of everything these years of its existence, it’s lastly reached a stage the place it’s comparable to Apple’s AirDrop.