When a third-party Reddit consumer often known as Apollo first hit the App Store’s cabinets in 2017, it was an app I couldn’t wait to get my fingers on. Unfortunately, challenge developer Christian Selig was compelled to shut the app down on June 30th after Reddit applied heavy-handed API adjustments that successfully made running third-party Reddit consumer infeasible for indie builders like Selig.
While the app can nonetheless be had from the App Store at present, it received’t load any subreddits or content material from the Reddit platform. On the different hand, many jailbreak builders have launched jailbreak tweaks that allow you to proceed utilizing the Apollo Reddit app on your jailbroken device so long as you make use of your account’s personal API key, which is a comparatively easy course of to do.
In at present’s tutorial, we’ll be displaying you every part you want to do to reinstall and proceed utilizing the Apollo app for Reddit through the use of one among the aforementioned jailbreak tweaks that allow you to use your account’s personal API key. Not solely is it straightforward to do, however it’ll give Apollo lovers a breath a recent air after migrating to the frankly horrendous first-party Reddit app.
Table of Contents
What you want to know
Before you get began, it’s best to know that Reddit has advised each app builders and bizarre Reddit customers that they won’t be allowed to use their API key to proceed utilizing third-party Reddit apps in a roundabout method. It’s price noting, nonetheless, that a whole lot and presumably even 1000’s of individuals are presently doing this and there have been no studies of retaliation towards these accounts by Reddit. Still, we muse warn that you do that at your individual threat.
To make this work, you have to:
- A jailbroken device
- Apollo model 1.15.11
- A sideloading or perma-signing utility akin to AltStore, Sideloadly, or TrollStore
- The AppStore++ utility
- One of a number of free jailbreak tweaks that allow you to enter your individual Reddit API key
We will stroll you thru the steps to legitimately purchase model 1.15.11 of the Apollo app for Reddit on this tutorial, however please don’t try to purchase the .ipa from third-party App Stores or sources, as this might be thought-about a type of piracy.
How to get Apollo working again
Getting Apollo up and running again requires leaping by a few hoops. Because of the variety of steps this can take, we’ll cut up this tutorial up into sections to make it simpler to observe. But don’t be fooled, whereas there are a lot of steps, anybody can do that and it’s straightforward.
For this tutorial, we’ll be utilizing an iOS 15.1 device that’s jailboken with the rootless Dopamine jailbreak and runs the TrollStore perma-signing utility. If you need, you should utilize a totally different jailbreak and a sideloading methodology as a substitute, however TrollStore is the really helpful methodology if it’s accessible to you.
Part 1: Installing Apollo
If you don’t have already got Apollo put in on your iPhone or iPad, you then want to set up it from the App Store. When you do that, you’ll be served with the newest model, which received’t work with our workaround, however now we have a repair for that. To set up Apollo in the event you don’t have already got it, observe these steps:
1) Launch the App Store from the Home Screen:
2) Tap on the Search tab:
3) Tap on the search bar and sort Apollo into it, then faucet on the blue search key:
4) Tap on the obtain button subsequent to Apollo for Reddit:
Note: When completed, Apollo will seem on your Home Screen:
Part 2: Installing AppStore++ and Downgrading Apollo
The subsequent step on this course of will likely be to set up AppStore++, a utility that can be utilized to downgrade apps that you just’ve already put in to older variations. To get and use it, observe the steps under:
1) Launch Safari from the Home Screen:
2) Tap on the search bar and enter the following URL, then faucet the go key:
Note: Wait for the obtain to full, this may occasionally take a few moments relying on your web velocity.
3) Tap the Download button in the immediate:
4) When completed, faucet the AA button in the search bar, then faucet on the Downloads choice:
5) Tap the App Store++ .ipa you simply downloaded:
6) Tap the Share button:
7) Tap the TrollStore icon in the Share Sheet:
8) Tap the Install button:
Note: App Store++ ought to now be perma-signed on your device:
Part 3: Downgrading Apollo with AppStore++
In this part, we’ll use the AppStore++ utility we simply put in to downgrade the Apollo app that we put in from the App Store partially 1. Simply observe the steps under to do that:
1) Launch the AppStore++ app you simply put in:
2) Tap and maintain on the Apollo app icon:
3) Tap the Upgrade/Downgrade button in the immediate:
4) Tap the choice for Apollo model 1.15.11:
5) Tap the Install button in the immediate:
6) Sign in together with your Apple ID password when prompted:
Note: The older model of Apollo will likely be put in on your Home Screen (discover the unique app icon with out the halo):
Part 4: Installing a jailbreak tweak
This part includes putting in a jailbreak tweak that may allow you to use your individual API key to run Apollo for Reddit. Our desire is ApolloPatcher by ichitaso, however you should utilize any different that you just want. Simply observe the steps under to get it:
1) Launch Sileo (or another bundle supervisor app) out of your Home Screen:
2) Tap the Sources tab:
3) Tap the + button.
4) Enter the following repository URL:
5) Tap the Add Source button.
6) When every part hundreds, faucet the Search tab after which faucet in the search bar:
7) Type ApolloPatcher in the search bar:
8) Tap the ApolloPatcher search outcome by ichitaso.
9) Tap the Get button:
10) Tap the Queue button:
11) Tap the Confirm button:
12) Once put in, faucet the Restart SpringBoard button:
Note: You have now put in ApolloPatcher, which can allow you to signal into Apollo together with your API key.
Part 5: Fetching your Reddit API key for Apollo
In this last part, we’ll fetch your Reddit API key from the Reddit web site and use it to log into your freshly-downloaded Apollo app for Reddit on your iPhone or iPad to proceed utilizing it. Follow alongside:
1) Open a internet browser on a desktop pc (or request desktop website on your iPhone or iPad) and enter the following URL and register to Reddit:
2) Tap the are you a developer? create an app… button:
3) Fill out the kind as proven:
Note: Here are the particulars you possibly can enter:
- Name: something you need
- Installed App
- Description: something you need
- About URL: something you need
- Redirect URL: apollo://reddit-oauth
4) Complete the Captcha, then faucet the create app button.
5) Take word of the API key proven to you in the subsequent window, you’re going to want it:
6) Launch the Apollo app out of your Home Screen:
7) Tap the Settings tab:
8) Tap the blue Custom API button.
9) Enter your Reddit API Key:
10) Tap the SetRedditClientID button.
Note: You’re all carried out! Enjoy utilizing Apollo for Reddit again!
Congratulations on making it this far! Now that you just’ve received Apollo up and running on your iPhone or iPad again, you possibly can proceed utilizing your favourite method to browse Reddit.
Please remember that this methodology is frowned upon by Reddit, so it’s doable that this might cease working in the future. So make sure to reap the benefits of it now whilst you nonetheless can, at your individual threat, after all.
Are you again to utilizing Apollo for Reddit? Let us know why or why not in the feedback part down under.